Rejection. I love that word..said no one ever! It reminds you of that feeling you get when someone says no to you. A horrible crippling feeling. The kind that makes you want to crawl into bed and never get up.
Where has this come from you ask? I had a conversation about my perfect studio set up with a friend of mine on Monday. It went something like this.
Me: I think this set up is brilliant, I’d love to have it.
Vincent : Why not ask for it?
Me: We both know that’s not going to happen.
Vincent : What gives you that idea? Did you talk to the relevant people and they said no?
Me: Not yet, but……
Vincent: so you are assuming you can’t get it, and you are not even willing to ask? What is the worst answer? A no. Right. Then? Will the ‘No’ be imprinted on your forehead? Will we all hear the ‘No’ echo through the walls? NO! The worst thing you can do is deny yourself the chance to know the actual answer. If the answer is NO, Ask why. That way the no makes sense. Again, you could get a yes. Then what?
To prove his point, He went ahead, talked to someone and I might just get it.
He didn’t get a No, He got a maybe.
See where I’m going with this?
Immediately after that he shared Jia Jiang’s video.
I watched it once, twice,thrice. And a few more times the following day.
We want to be better people, fearless people. Gladiators. The kind you read of and watch on TedX with amazing stories. How do we expect to be these people if simple things like walking into a boss’s office to asking for something scares the hell out of us?
Jia Jiang and Vincent got me thinking. Next time…I’m not going to be scared.
Why, because I’m walking away from great life lessons.
Here are 7 I thought make sense.
- Becoming a better person. If your outlook on life is positive,you’ll learn from what you’d perceive as failure.
- Appreciating success more. Imagine getting a yes after 5 Nos.Its an amazing feeling right?
- Being more resilient. The strength to regroup and come back again isn’t for the faint
- Re-evaluating yourself and your plan. If your initial plan,didn’t work. write a new one, find a new angle. heck find a couple.
- Getting another chance. Tomorrow, You’ll go back stronger,better.
- Helping others. Your experience becomes a great lesson to someone.
- Being more courageous. Something that doesn’t come easy.
Was this article helpful? Leave a comment below , on twitter @ythera_mwangi or on facebook Cynthia ythera Mwangi.